Insurance Info for DANW Contractors
Dog Adventures Northwest is licensed through the State of Oregon, and bonded and insured through the Association for Professional Dog Trainers and the Business Insurers of the Carolinas. We are happy to provide proof of insurance to clients at any time.
Dog Adventures Northwest covers:
- damage to a client dog
- injury to a client human
- damage to a client's home
- all deductibles associated with the above claims
- all legal liability associated with the above claims
Dog Adventures Northwest does not cover...
- damage to home, car, or personal belongings
- injury to you or your dogs
- deductibles associated with the above claims
- legal liability with the above claims
Dog Adventures Northwest and all of its contractors are insured for the following...
Damage to any dog in our professional care (up to $50,000 per occurrence).
The policy covers any injuries of client dogs that are sustained at any time we have "care, control, and custody" of these dogs (ie in the car, in our homes, on the trail, in client's homes... basically anywhere you are working with a client dog).
- Note that we have clients sign a waiver that says DANW offers high-risk activity, and that we will not cover any vet care for a dog who is injured on an adventure. This waiver will remain in effect, as the insurance deductible is high, and so it makes more business sense to have people sign the waiver, and for them to handle vet bills that come up. This being said, however, DANW can, if absolutely necessary, cover veterinary care of our clients if the situation merits it (ie if the injury is extensive and therefore preposterously expensive, if the injury was incurred due to trainer negligence and not happenstance, etc). If a dog is injured in your care, please do not discuss any finances of veterinary care with the client. Let me know immediately, and I will decide what is just and prudent.
Damage to a third party dog by a dog in our professional care (up to $50,000 per occurrence).
If a client dog gets into a fight with a third party dog on the trail, and that third party dog requires veterinary care, DANW will cover veterinary bills if necessary. As written above, if this were to happen, please do not make any promises to anyone regarding finances. Instead, supply them with my contact information, and I will handle all situations in a just and prudent way.
- Note that your own dogs are considered "first party," and are not covered under the DANW insurance, even if they are injured by a client dog. Your own animals may be covered under your renters' insurance or homeowner's insurance. If not, you may want to consider procuring health insurancefor your dogs through a quality company like Healthy Paws or Trupanion.
Damage to a third party person by a dog in our professional care (up to $1,000,000 per occurrence).
If a client dog were to injure a third party person while out adventuring or while in your home, that person's medical bills would be covered. Again, if this were to happen, you would supply the injured person with my contact information, and I would handle it from there. As unlikely as this would be, if you are ever in the position of causing injury to a dog parent while working as a DANW trainer, the client's medical bills would also be covered.
- Note that independent contractors are considered "first party" and that workers' compensation coverage is not offered to independent contractors. This means that DANW will not be able to cover your medical bills if you sustain an injury while adventuring. If you do not have health insurance, you are encouraged to take out a policy through the Affordable Care Act, or to seek another venue for coverage (through a husband/wife/domestic partner, through the Oregon Health Plan, through employment through a company that offers health coverage, etc).
Damage to third party property (up to $50,000 per occurrence).
If you cause damage to a client's home while you are picking up or dropping off a dog or while you are pet sitting in their home, DANW is insured, and will cover the damages. As written above, if an incident like this were to happen, please notify me right away, and I will take care of all finances and communication with the client.
- Note that a client's home itself (as opposed to the contents) is insured up to $1,000,000 per occurrence. This means that if you burn a client's house down or something else crazy, you will be covered under the DANW insurance policy.
- Note that the home and property of independent contractors is considered "first party," and so DANW will not able to cover damages to your own home or property while you have a dog in your professional care. If you have renters' insurance or homeowner's insurance, your home and your property may or may not be covered for damages incurred while serving as an independent contractor. This is a conversation that you will want to have with your own insurance agent, so that you can best assess your risk. The Dog Adventures Northwest insurance will not cover damage to your personal belongings, car, home, or property, or any deductibles or legal suits associated with the above claims.
This waiver is completed upon client registration.
Dog Adventures Northwest takes every precaution to ensure your dog’s safety. No dog is pushed beyond his or her physical comfort zone, and rest stops and water breaks are part of every adventure. Also, all Adventure Leaders are trained to deal with unknown aggressive dogs through diversion and appropriate body language. All Adventure Leaders carry a cell phone in the event of emergency, and also Direct Stop, a citronella spray designed to stop aggressive dogs in their tracks. Even with precautions, however, adventuring presents risks. If your dog does get hurt while on the trail, we will take him or her immediately to the closest emergency animal hospital or to your own veterinarian.
Though Dog Adventures Northwest is not financially responsible for any injury your dog may incur while adventuring, the risk of injury is quite low, and we will do everything in our power to prevent injuries of any kind. Also, all Dog Adventures Northwest staff is certified in animal first-aid, CPR, and rescue breathing, should the need arise. Dog Adventures Northwest is a legal business entity in the State of Oregon, with full coverage insurance and bonding.
IN CONSIDERATION OF my dog(s) being allowed to participate in activities associated with Dog Adventures Northwest, the undersigned acknowledges, appreciates, and agrees that:
There is a risk of injury to my dog from the activities involved in off-leash dog play, including the potential for permanent disability and death, and while particular precautions reduce this risk, the risk of serious injury does exist; and,
- FOR MY DOG, I KNOWINGLY AND FREELY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES or others, and assume full responsibility for my dog’s participation; and,
- I myself, my spouse, and on behalf of my/our heirs, assigns, personal representatives, and next of kin, HEREBY RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS Dog Adventures Northwest: its directors, officers, officials, agents, employees, independent contractors, volunteers, other participants, sponsoring agencies, sponsors, advertisers, and if applicable, owners and lessors of premises used to conduct the event ("Releasees"), WITH RESPECT TO ANY AND ALL INJURY, DISABILITY, DEATH, or loss or damage to person, dog, or property incident to my dog’s involvement or participation in these activities, WHETHER ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE, to the fullest extent permitted by law
- I myself, my spouse, and on behalf of my/our heirs, assigns, personal representatives, and next of kin, HEREBY INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS all the above Releasees from any and all liabilities incident to my dog’s involvement or participation in these programs, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THEIR NEGLIGENCE, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
I HAVE READ THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT, FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS, UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY SIGNING IT, AND SIGN IT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT ANY INDUCEMENT.
I understand the seriousness of the risks involved in participating in this program, my personal responsibilities for adhering to rules and regulation, and accept them as a participant.